I decided to devote an ENTIRE post to how I did Ibuki’s wig. It was an involved process, and while it only took two nights to finish, I felt like it was an enternity, and I was ready to pull my hair out, scream or cry. This wig…. gave me a complete meltdown, to the point where I was like, “Am I even good at Cosplay? Should I keep doing this?” Stupid, yea, but I was in the heat of the moment and extremely frustrated! Not to mention Josh giving me a complete TROLOL face when I asked him how it looked. I mean, SHOT TO THE EGO, MAN.
ANYHOW. We saw the reference pictures in the first Ibuki post. I’m too lazy to repost. Some pics she has three pontails, some too— I went with the statue, which sported two, thicker ponytails– less work, right? I WISH.
I bought a fairly cheap wig at a local wig store– no point in buying online when I can get a black wig right near me. The downside to buying a ‘real everyday wig’ is that they are severely thin when compared to cosplay wigs. But, it was a sacrifice I was willing to make when the wig was only $25. So, I stubbed the ponytail and that was that!
I went through an unsuccessful night where I tried to use loose fiber, and wrap it around craft foam and glue it. God, it looked AWFUL. I completely scrapped and started again. This time, I went with working with wefts. I really didn’t want to sew some up tho, so I went out and bought some hair weave from the same store. It ended up being PERFECT and heat resistant– TWO GREAT THINGS!
This time, I made a form with some leftover EVA foam that I had laying around:
I prolly could’ve made the form a little thinner, since I really didn’t think that the hair would create as much volume as it did in the end. OH WELL
After this form was made, I went about wrapping it in hair wefts and gluing them there. I was able to use hot glue since they were heat resistant. When the forms were completely covered, they were glued into the wig with MASSIVE amounts of hot glue, and then covered in the cotton fabric.
Sadly, this is were the easy part ends. I CANNOT GET THE PONYTAILS TO STAND UP. I’m still working on it, lol.
The bangs were actually fairly easy– floral wire covered in several hairwefts and glued to the underside of the wig. I’m talking MASSIVE AMOUNTS of hair glue, gel and spray to made these babies rock hard. I suceeded, lol.
The wig is GODAWFUL heavy, so I prolly won’t be able to wear it for very long, sadly.